Description and Responsibilities
A Director of Human Resources (“Director”) must be an experienced professional
with deep knowledge of all matters concerning Human Resources policy &
practice. The Director should be able to manage programs and lead staff while
also possessing a strong strategic mindset. The goal is to ensure that all
HR needs of the company are being met and are aligned with all key business
Overall, the Director of Human Resources is responsible for the direction,
coordination, and effective performance of various human resource functions,
including but not limited to hiring, compensation, benefits, employee relations &
engagement, employee wellness & fair treatment, workers’ compensation program,
payroll support, and for ensuring company-wide compliance with government laws
and regulations. The Director provides tactical and strategic recommendations to
Executive Management in establishing overall human resource objectives, policies,
- Manages and performs tasks required to administer and execute human
resource programs including, but not limited to, compensation, benefits, and
PTO/Leave; employee relations & disciplinary matters; disputes and
investigations; HR risk management, performance and talent management;
employee productivity, employee engagement, recognition, and morale;
occupational health and safety; and employee recruitment, training and
development; compensation assessment, philosophy & policy; role/function
design/definition; budgetary and strategic staffing plans and accountability
chart management; succession/contingency planning; Federal, State and local
HR law compliance; EEO, non-discrimination & diversity policy and overall HR
- Leads Heartland employee career & knowledge development program.
- Assumes key leadership role in Heartland Company Culture development.
- Manages the design and administration of employee benefit programs
to include medical, dental, FSA, Vision, Life Insurance, and 401K plans.
Negotiates with insurance brokers and insurance carriers as needed.
- Monitors the effectiveness of existing benefit plans, policy, processes,
and guidelines recommending improvements to benefits that are cost
effective, more efficient, and competitive with market trends and
- Attends and participates in employee disciplinary meetings, terminations, and
investigations and manages this process to ensure compliance with HR best
practices and laws.
- Conducts and resolves investigations regarding employee complaints and
concerns. Resolves employee relations issues according to Company policies
and applicable legal requirements.
- Recruits, interviews, and facilitates the hiring of qualified job applicants for
open positions; collaborates with departmental managers to understand skills
and competencies required for job openings.
- Conducts or acquires background & reference checks and employee eligibility
- Implements new hire HR orientation and employee recognition programs.
- Handles employment-related inquiries from applicants, employees, and
supervisors, referring complex and/or sensitive matters to the appropriate
- Leads HR to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws
and regulations, and recommended best practices; reviews policies and
practices to maintain compliance.
- Maintains knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new
technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law.
- Reviews, tracks, and documents compliance with mandatory and nonmandatory training, continuing education, and work assessments. This may include safety training, anti-harassment training, professional licensure, and
aptitude exams and certifications.
- Develops & supports learning and development programs and initiatives that
provide internal development opportunities for employees.
- Help implement, champion and support development of Heartland Values
and Heartland Operating System (HeartlandOS).
- Manage HCM/HRIS system.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Strong Experience managing & developing company human resources
strategies and implementing comprehensive human resource policies and
- Experience in managing HRIS/HCM systems—Experience in leading HCM
system selection and integration a plus.
- Thorough knowledge of employment-related best practices, laws and
regulations and practical experience in application of the same.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Ability to adapt to the needs of a high growth/rapid change organization and
- Ability to collaborate as thought partner/coach.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
- Ability to act with highest levels of integrity, professionalism, and
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Understanding of contemporary H.R. Predictive People Analytics.
- Experience in Traction EOS or similar business operating system a plus.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related
field highly preferred.
- At least five years of human resource management experience in similar role
ideally in a company of 50+ employees.
- PHR, SPHR, SHRM-CP and/or SHRM-SCP a plus.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Repetitive motions of the wrist, hands and / or fingers.
- Occasionally may lift up to 35 lbs.
- Travel – limited.
Heartland will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.