Wireless Network Architect
Heartland is looking for a Wireless Network Architect to join our growing team of engineers on our AlwaysConnected team. In this role, you’ll provide technical guidance and expertise to our clients — managing the design, implementation, and optimization of their wired and wireless networks. You’ll be involved from early in the sales cycle, through the implementation phases, managing the technical aspect of the project, and provide quality assurance oversight for new installations.
What You’ll Do
- Visit client locations and conduct site and Wi-Fi surveys, create designs for warehouse environments, maintenance space, offices, as well as ‘outside the four walls’.
- Analyze and evaluate the wireless infrastructure, perform network diagnostics, view network design and engineering, manage any structured cabling installation, and conduct post installation validation, and network monitoring.
- Design the network infrastructure, this includes MDF / IDF location selection, cabinet layouts, equipment installation, power needs, etc.
- Design cabling infrastructure, using proper cabling practices, environmental awareness pertaining to both fiber and copper infrastructure limitations.
- Manage vendors, write SOW’s, evaluate costs, negotiate contracts, schedule, and manage performance and long-term commitment(s) to clients.
- Read floor plans/blueprints/drawings and other documents relating to new or existing network infrastructure.
- Support product upgrades and ongoing health of network infrastructure systems.
- Create and maintain network diagrams, installation standards, troubleshooting tips, installation documentation, and detailed network information for efficient reference, easy planning and fast troubleshooting of network issues.
- Technical support, the first level of escalation support and coordinate appropriate resources to bring cases to resolution. Diagnose, resolve, and report network incidences and reported discrepancies discovered through current processes and procedures.
- Training clients, helping them use AIDC hardware and/or software applications.
- Requires occasional after-hours work to maintain and repair system components.
- Up to 70% travel at times
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Three to five years of similar or related experience in network management and implementation
- Proven success on projects with large-scale deployments, knowledge of emerging technologies, and strong network infrastructure design and support skills.
- Thorough documentation and understanding of project framework and proficiency in technical writing – deliverables showing design work, installation, and support details.
- Training and Certifications: CCNA – Route/Switch – preferred, CCNA – Wireless, Extreme – DoJo
- 1-3 years of computer hardware and software support
- Experience verifying software/equipment is properly configured and network connectivity is operational and correctly connected to network
- Experience with mobile device management software
- Experience with AirWatch and RF survey tools such as Ekahau, AirMagnet a plus
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to present ideas and suggestions clearly and effectively.
- Ability to manage shifting priorities and workloads, excellent project management skills.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- Ability to walk 5+ miles a day, occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, maneuver under desks and tables
- Indoors, average office environment with little exposure to excessive noise, dust, or temperature changes
- Warehouse environments that can be extreme cold (as low as -30°F), loud and dirty
As an employer, Heartland applies a policy of equal opportunities. We build our teams based on the assessment of candidates’ competences and their professional achievements.